Saturday 17 January 2015

Review - The Elder Origins

Hi booklovers

Today I'm bringing you my very first book review.

I've just finished 'The Elder Origins #1' by Bre Faucheux. I've been following Bre's BookTube Channel for quite a while and last year we started talking via Twitter. I've been wanting to read some of her books and I've finally started her 'The Elder Origins' series.

I went into this expecting this to be a bit weird, because Bre had warned me about it several times. But since I enjoy weird, I was very curious to find out about the story.

*Story:
The story starts in 1346 where we meet Kuruk and his son He Lush Ka, the Elders of the Native American Vam-pyr-ei-ak Tribe. We don't find out much about them except that they have these visions in which they see 'the white men' coming.
Then we jump to England during the winter of 1347. We meet Madison and her brother Jamison during the Hundred Year War when their house and village are being burned to the ground by the French. Madison, Jamison and some other people from their village flee and set out to find a new place to live. The arrive at a seemingly uninhabited stretch of land in native America. They decide to settle there and start building new houses. Unfortunately, disaster strikes again. From there on lots of things start to happen...

*Characters:
- At first I thought Madison would be a soft-hearted girl who did everything her brother told her to. But soon you start to see that she has her own opinions and she frequently doubts her brother's beliefs. Throughout the story she develops a stronger character, although certain events still make her doubt things. I'm curious to see how she will evolve.

- Jamison is okay, but we don't get to know that much about him.

- I wanted to strangle Jayden right from the start, he is so annoying and stuck-up. I wonder how he will develop in the next story.

*Plot:
I really like the way Bre writes about vampires. I've read a couple of vampire books and I like this original take on them. I'm curious to see where the story will go from here.

*Overall rating:
I really liked this book. Even though Bre had warned me about it being weird, I found it to be intriguing. You get a glimpse of the Elders and then you move on to Madison's story. Because of the cliffhanger I really want to know what happens next, so I will be starting it very soon.
I give this book 3.5 / 5 stars. (I will make a post about my rating system soon)

If you like vampire stories that are a bit different mixed with historical things, this is a book you should pick up!

Let me know in the comments if you've read this book or if you want to read it.

Bye

Annelies

No comments:

Post a Comment