Wednesday 17 January 2018

My top ten reads of 2017.

Hi booklovers

Since we're at the beginning of a new (reading) year, I thought I'd share my top 10 reads of the previous with you.

I purposefully put the word 'reads' in the title, because not everyting in this list are books, there are also graphic novels. 
#10: I'm already cheating with my number 10 favourite read because it's actually a trilogy: the Firebird trilogy by Claudia Gray.
          1) A Thousand Pieces of You - 5 stars
          2) Ten Thousand Skies Above You - 4 stars
          3) A Million Worlds With You - 4.5 stars
This is one of the few trilogies I actually read backt to back, which is saying a lot! The parallel universe travelling concept was really exciting and I really like Marguerite as a main character.

#9: A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas, 4.5 stars. I know there are some problems with this series, but I liked this third book a lot. I'm very much looking forward to the novella that's coming out this year: A Court of Frost and Starlight. (And I reaaaalllllyyyy want Azriel to have his own book!!)

#8: Alex + Ada: volume 1 - 3. These graphic novels are my favourite graphic novels of last year (I gave all three 5 stars). I loved this story so much, it was really heartbreaking at times, the drawings are so nice. I'm actually sorry that there aren't more than three volumes :'-(

#7: Amour Amour and Infini by Becca & Krista Ritchie, both 4.5 stars. This is actually becoming an annual tradition :-) although these books aren't part of the Addicted / Calloway sisters series. I loved these books and I'm hoping there are going to be more in the Aerial Ethereal universe.

#6: Second Position and Finding Center by Katherine Locke, both 4.5 stars. This is an angsty, but also very good NA duology and I enjoyed it very much.

#5: Heartless by Marissa Meyer, 5 stars. This was the first book I read for the Of Wonderland Bookclub on Goodreads and I loved it. Marissa Meyer is the queen of retellings! You can find my spoiler-free review here

#4: The Others series by Anne Bishop.
          1) Written in Red - 5 stars 
          2) Murder of Crows - 5 stars
          3) Vision in Silver - 5 stars 
          4) Marked in Flesh - 5 stars 
          5) Etched in Bone (audio) - 5 stars
This series is so very addictive and the refreshing part is that there isn't a full-on romance in this book. You follow along how the relationship between Meg and Simon evolves, but it's so special and it only 'starts' at the very end of book 5. The humor is also one of my favourite things about this series. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series, although it won't be about Meg and Simon.

I'm not going to put my top three in any specific order, because all the books were my absolute favourites of 2017.

#The Finale Empire by Brandon Sanderson, 5 stars. The worldbuilding, the characters, the magic system, everything is just perfect. (I've actually just finished my reread of this book so I can finally continue with the trilogy (series).

#Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, 5 stars. This story is just as good as the first one and I can't wait to read the conclusion to this trilogy, although it will be bittersweet to say goodbye to this adventure. I'm actually going to reread Illuminae this month and Gemina next month (I'll be listening to the audiobook for this one) so I'm all prepared for Obsidio to come out in March.

#Nevernight and Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff,  both 5 stars. Holy crap, these books are soooooooo good. They are gritty and raw but also very witty. I love the sarcasm of Mister Kindly and how nothing in these books is sugar-coated. Mia is one of the sassiest and bad-ass female characters out there! 
I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the third book, but again, reading the final book in the trilogy will be bittersweet. Jay has definitely become an autobuy author for me and I want to pick up his The Lotus Wars trilogy and his upcoming book LifeL1k3.

I had a really good reading year, I only DNFed one book which was Vassa in the Night. I was really intrigued when I started this book, but at some point it just got too confusing and I completely lost intrest in it.

How did your reading year go? What are some of your favourite books? Let me know in the comments.

Bye for now

Annelies
 

No comments:

Post a Comment