Saturday 3 September 2016

Try a chapter tag #1.

Hi booklovers

After finishing Krista and Becca Ritchie's amazing book 'Long Way Down' I had absolutely no idea of what to pick up next. A while ago I saw the 'Try a chapter' tag on Squibblesreads' YouTube-channel. This tag was originally created by Bookparadise.

For this tag you don't answer questions, you just take a number of books you feel like reading and you read the first chapter. After that you decide which book to pick up, based on how much you liked the first chapter.

These were the books I felt like picking up, so I read their first chapters. With the exception of The Shock of the Fall, which was a library book, all the books in this pile have been on my TBR since last year.

I'm going to list the books ranging from 'don't feel like reading' to 'this is the one I'll be reading first'.

This book is loved by many people, but I just couldn't get into it. I know the book starts with the main character being about 9 years old, but the pacing felt so rushed and weird to me. I even read on a bit to see if it would improve, but for me it didn't. So I decided to return it to the library, because I don't think it's a book for me.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the part of the first chapter I read, I think I just wasn't in the mood for it. I only read part of the first chapter because it turned out to be rather long. This is one of the books I want to read before the end of the year and I really do plan on picking it up, just not right now.

This one couldn't quite hold my intrest just yet, although I have to say I will move it up my TBR and hopefully read it this year.

I found this to be rather intriguing, but not quite intriguing enough for now. But like 'A Thousand Pieces of You' I'm moving this up my TBR :-)

After reading the graphic novel of Vampire Academy, I really felt like diving back into this world and this first chapter really grabbed my attention from the start. The reason I didn't pick it up, though, is that there are 6 books in this series and I only have the first one. If I really like it, I will want to pick up the next ones and I'm trying to limit my bookbuying at the moment. But I'm sure I will pick this up very soon anyway :-)

I know I said I didn't pick up Bloodlines because it's part of series and this book is part of a trilogy, but 'having' to buy two books is better than buying five, isn't it? Truth be told, this book grabbed my attention from the first lines, so that's why I decided to continue with it. I just don't know how I'll deal with not being able to continue with the rest of the series straight away :-s
As I'm writing this post, I'm already 154 pages in. I'm really enjoying the story and I can't wait to see what comes next (the story has just taken a turn and things are going down!)

I really liked picking my next read by reading the first chapter of these books and I think I will be using this method again in the future :-)

How do you decide what to read next? Let me know in the comments.

Bye for now

Annelies

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so too. If you ever have a hard time choosing your next read, you should definitely give it a try. It would even be cool to do this tag on your BookTube channel ;-)

      Delete
  2. It's an interesting idea, but I couldn't do it. When I stop reading a book, even after only one chapter, I don't think I'll pick it up again. I'm reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and I really like it. After I'm going for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, I have to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was lucky in my choice of books. With the exception of The Shock of the Fall, they were all interesting enough to go back to them, even after putting them down. Maybe you should give it a try with two books :-)
      How's Miss Peregrine's? I'm not sure if that's a book for me. Let me know what you think of Harry Potter, I've heard so many mixed reviews.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving it. It's different than I'd thought, but it's good. :) and I will let you know about HPATCC.

    ReplyDelete